Sunday, November 16, 2008

Learning comes in many ways.

I started to prepare for homeschooling 10 1/2 years ago. I wanted everything to be perfect. I had lists of things that my kids needed to learn before they would be considered educated children. As time went on, I began to be discouraged that we weren't doing every thing that I thought that we should be doing. I thought that I was failing my kids by not teaching them enough.
It took me a couple of years to realize that the reason that schooling wasn't going according to plan because I had neglected to ask God what His plan was for the children that He had entrusted to me. I had been trying to follow what society told me was important, not what God knew was important.
God didn't want me to forget about teaching the traditional school subjects. What He did want me to do was to seek Him first. What was revealed to me as being the most important thing to focus on was their relationship with God and their character. When I did, life settled down and went smoothly. When we dealt with the attitudes involved, both theirs and mine, real learning began. They drew closer to God and were able to concentrate on their schooling.

Michelle Turner
OneDotComMom

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Although it's important for our children to learn the curriculum, it's also just as important to teach them the many lessons they would never learn in a traditional classroom. We find this to be one of the greatest benefits to homeschooling. How wonderful it is YOU are teaching your own children about faith. We bet it's a wonderful feeling.

Many Blessings....
Hugo and Roxanne
~ Believe Achieve ~

one dot com mom said...

It is a great feeling when I can see the power of God showing through their lives. I believe that these are the type of things that show me that I am suceeding in teaching my kids what they truely need to know.