Monday, November 17, 2008

Benefits of Homeschooling

I have found that there are many benefits to homeschooling. The most important of these is that I get to really know my kids. I know there likes, dislikes, fears and dreams. It has created a stronger family for us because we have had the time to really bond.

I have chosen to homeschool year round. I don't know about anyone else's kids, but mine get bored and cranky if they have too much time off. It also makes it easier to take time off when family comes to visit or when you want to take a vacation at off times of the year.

With us being a military family, we can not always wait until the end of a school year to move. It can be very hard on kids starting school in the middle of the year at a new school. With homeschooling, you can move and just take the school with you.

You can teach your children in a manner that works best for them. When we first started homeschooling, I tried to use text books in all subjects just like the public school does. I soon discovered that my kids didn't learn well that way. They learn much better reading books about a subject. They learn the same information but a different way. You can choose to use a lot of hands on activities or not use any. The choice is yours.

I know that there are many other benefits to homeschooling. These are just the biggest benefits for us.

Michelle Turner
OneDotComMom

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

More wonderful benefits!! We're learning so much about homeschooling from you. Thank you for sharing your experiences with us.

Many Blessings....
Hugo and Roxanne
~ Believe Achieve ~

one dot com mom said...

I am glad that I can help you by sharing my experiences.