Tuesday, November 18, 2008

First Steps

After you have made the decision to homeschool, one of the first, most important steps that you need to take is to decide what you are going to teach your children and how you are going to teach them. Keep in mind that you might need to teach different children differently.

In my case, the first step was lots of prayer. I needed to pray to learn what God wanted them to learn. What did He think was important? I found after much prayer that what I wanted was not always what He wanted.

You then need to spend some time thinking about your kids. How do they learn best? What are they interested in? You need to think once they get older, what do they want to do in life? How can I prepare them for what is ahead? Teaching practical skills, like cooking, basic home and auto maintenance are things that should not be over looked.

Then comes in the how of teaching or what curriculum you want to use. I found that what I wanted didn't work for my kids. After more prayer, I found a Christian based curriculum that would teach the practical skills along with teaching how to be a Christian person. I knew that God was calling me to use this curriculum, but I kept getting sidetracked by what I wanted. Once again the road of our homeschooling got bumpy. God kept pointing me back to what he wanted.

What God wanted for my kids is not always the same as what God wants for your kids. Pray and seek God for your life and theirs.

Sincerely,
Michelle Turner
OneDotComMom

No comments: